Thursday 28 March 2019

Miscellaneous links

1. The magic routine that won the World Championships of Magic is impressive.

2. Bribery to improve democracy? The proposal is more modest than the headline. I still don't like it, but I'm not quite sure why.

3. "Storing it was a problem. I made a bedside table out of it, put it under my desk, in my wardrobe and in the garage. Christmas 2014 was the cheapest ever; everyone got toilet roll. At work, I wrapped up an 18-roll pack for our white-elephant game – a bit like secret Santa – and everyone fought over it. I gave them out for family birthdays because they were coming so thick and fast, but they sent a mix of qualities and I always kept the more expensive mega rolls, which were softer and more luxurious, for myself. When I moved across state, I had to rent a trailer to take the toilet rolls with me." What it's like to win a lifetime's supply of something.

4. Nice article by Alex Massie. What sort of country do we want? (Not about Brexit.)

5. This is well-said about the ridiculously millenarian tone of coverage of Trump. In line with my own thoughts, but with an interesting take on the mis-uses of history. Brexit really is a big deal. Big in the sense that joining the Common Market was a big deal. But Trump is just one guy, and one, moreover, who is not particularly good at anything other than self-promotion.

6. Lovely video of a baby moving around inside the womb. Scientific advances would seem likely to lead to pro-life policies. But then again, ask scientists who work on climate change or on biological sex differences in humans how much impact they are having on policy.

No comments:

Post a Comment