Wednesday 13 May 2015

Someone else foaming at the mouth

An Oxford philosopher, posting on a blog entitled 'Practical Ethics', has written something entitled "If you’re a Conservative, I’m not your friend". It starts "One of the first things I did after seeing the depressing election news this morning was check to see which of my Facebook friends ‘like’ the pages of the Conservatives or David Cameron, and unfriend them. (Thankfully, none of my friends ‘like’ the UKIP page.) Life is too short, I thought, to hang out with people who hold abhorrent political views, even if it’s just online." It continues in similar vein here.

The post has caused a bit of a stir: the Independent covers it here, archly starting its article by saying that "Britain’s liberal intelligentsia normally tries to react to setbacks in the spirit of peace, love and understanding."

Meanwhile, Daniel Hannan continues to speak sense, including this: "Labour is also built on many decent impulses: standing up for the underdog, dispersing power away from elites, raising the condition of the poorest."

Hannan's argument includes a suggestion that the sort of left-wing rhetoric he describes creates shy Tories. But here is an interesting snippet suggesting that it is lazy Labourites who disproved the polls rather than shy Tories - it seems that Labour turn out was not as high as expected. I'd like to see the figures for the other parties before putting too much weight on that, but at least I've found one of these people - here is Zoe Williams in the Guardian, saying "I didn’t even vote for them myself; God knows how I expected to wake up with a Labour government."



No comments:

Post a Comment