Thursday 17 March 2022

Less is more

I have seen this SNL sketch recommended by a couple of people. Given my lack of exposure to US TV comedy, I think it's fair to say that that means that it is regarded as a really good sketch. 

But it's not. It's on-the-nose, squirmy social commentary and it's ok as a comedy sketch. Fine. But it's just one joke and it's sooooo long. For 2.5 minutes of video, I want more than one joke. 30 seconds for one joke - boom! - then stop. Or else take it further. Why not have a cop come into the store and then things could escalate from there? Or have the customers leave the store and find themselves in an Amazon Go street where their interactions with everything else monitored too? It could have ended with someone nervous in their own home as they are watched by Amazon, thereby showing the depths to which racism has penetrated society. 

I stand by what I said before: US sketch comedy is not its finest export.

No comments:

Post a Comment