Friday 26 June 2020

Someone who did change her mind

Following on from my post about people not wanting to change their minds, here is a great example of someone who did. She is Zion Lights (great name! rather like the best kind of Puritan name from the 1640s), formerly spokesperson for Extinction Rebellion UK and the founder of its climate reporting newspaper The Hourglass, who has quit the organisation to take up a position as a campaigner for nuclear power.

"For many years I was skeptical of nuclear power. Surrounded by anti-nuclear activists, I had allowed fear of radiation, nuclear waste and weapons of mass destruction to creep into my subconscious," she says. But then Lights looked into the science and "realised I had been duped into anti-science sentiment all this time."

She adds, poignantly: "To my surprise, when I shared the data with my anti-nuclear friends, they argued against the science. Alas, we parted ways."

Just think how strong her desire for truth is that she left her friends and her job simply to follow what she believes to be true. And not to adopt a fashionable cause that comes with fashionable new friends, but simply to save the world. Zion Lights indeed.

1 comment: