Wednesday 29 November 2017

Uber - inside and out

Here are two interesting links about Uber.

First, here is Mr Money Mustache, an early retirement devotee, explaining what it is like to work for Uber. A detail from his induction: "There was a trendy little cafe in the corner of the room, so I strolled over and picked up a Clif bar and a coffee. Due to my naive privilege as a former tech worker, I expected it all to be free – after all, don’t all offices offer free coffee and snacks, along with a keg of local beer and another tap for Kombucha? But a man popped out from around the corner and rung me up for $3.85. On top of that, it was a bland coffee in a small cup. This was an interesting reminder that working in a lower-training job is a different world than the one you and I probably both inhabit, here at the top of the economy."

Second, here is Alex Tabarrok explaining why Uber can't pay drivers more just by raising fares. I would be interested to see what Tabarrok thinks about Mustache's suggestions for changing how drivers are paid.


No comments:

Post a Comment